Sunday, August 1, 2010

Football Manager Series - Barnet FC English League LLM

With huge success on my previous managing premier league or top flight league and continuing of my Football Manager 2010 series, I have decided to manage lower league football club. I have selected an English league for my new adventure as Football Manager. I have selected lowest active league from Coca Cola League 2.  This mean the following league is included in the game engine: Coca Cola League 2, Coca Cola League 1, and Premier League.


So I have chosen to play as a Manager of Barnet, a football club at Coca Cola League 2. Barnet has local reputation. The chairman loves the club and the finance status is okay. The club estimated value is £2.2M. The stadium is called “Underhill” with capacity of 5000 (2000 seated). It also has good training facilities and adequate youth facilities. The media has predicted a 20th position for this season.
On my first day, I received a personal welcoming message from Tony Kleanthous, Barnet Chairman. He assured me that I can rely on the full backing of the club’s board. I also have been presented a contract deal until June 2011 worth £775 per week. I also made the choice to retain all the backroom staff such as coaches, scout, and assistant manager. I also delegated friendly matches, arranging friendly matches, and press conference to my assistant manager. I have given £15,000 for transfer budget and £18,000/week wages budget.

Barnet’s Background
Barnet was founded in 1888. Barnet is a professional English club currently playing in the Coca-Cola League 2. The club plays their home games at Underhill and the club is known as The Bees and retains a fierce rivalry with Enfiled and Stevenage Borough.
As a club which enjoyed its best spell of success during the 1980s and their last competition win coming as recently as 2005. The bees are a club with a growing history. Barnet won the English 5th tier in 1991 and 2005 and finished runners-up on three occasions, finished runners-up in the FA Trophy in 1972, and won the Conference League Cup in 1989 and finished runners-up on two occasions.



Transfer
The first day as a Barnet Manager, I checked my squad. I found many hole in all position. I then signed several players who I think will help me to stay in this league. I signed Steven Foley (Winger, Midfielder) for free with £675 per week for 2 years, Przemyslaw Kazimierczak (Goalkeeper) for free with £375 per week for 3 years, Ryan Brett (Wing Back, Fullback) for free with £300 per week for 3 years, and Andrew Callaghan (Wing Back - Right) for free with £950 per week for 3 years.

So my journey as a Barnet Manager began. Friendly matches had been up and down.  I managed to win 2 wins, 2 losses and 1 draw. I have 3 more friendly matches before I start my season against Lincoln, then MK Dons, and Shrewsbury. More updates to come..

First five games were rough games for my Barnet team. I lost 3 games ( Lincoln, Morecambe, Notts Co) and drew 2 games (Shrewsbury, Torquay). I took more drastic changes such as firing my coaches and youth coaches. I hire new coach Jimmy Hunter (general coach), Dave Barron (fitness). I also got a new striker, Mickael Buscher with £950 per week for 2 years. I loaned 3 players from Arsenal (Luke Ayling, Kyle Bartley and Kyle Bartley) and 1 player from Chelsea (Jacopo Sala).

With these changes, my team became more competitive. Though I lost the league cup on 1st round and Johnstone’s Paint Trophy on 1st round, I began winning games. The next five games results are as follows: I won 3 games (Macclesfield, Bradford, Dag & Red), 1 draw (Northampton) and 1 lost (Rotherham). Going forward through the mid season, I tried to get another striker, but I couldn’t. I finally stick to my original team. To my surprise, I manage to get promotion to Coca-Cola League 1 for next season.



My final league position is 3rd on Coca-Cola League 2. I won 23 games, drew 11 games, and lost 12 games. I did better on most of my home games than my away games.

I’m off to my next journey in Coca-Cola League 1 as Barnet Manager for the next season. I may need to loan and transfer several player to prepare my season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment